Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Activities for People with Alzheimer's

Activities directors, caregivers, and healthcare professionals,here is some great information

Here is a great dementia resource for caregivers and healthcare professinals,

Here is information on being the best caregiver you can be

Here are more interesting dementia brain boosting activities

Here is a dementia music activity

Leaf Hunt
submitted by Chris

Size: Unlimited

Equipment: Baskets

Objective: To prevent alienation and encourage creativity, exercise, helping others and overall stimulation.

Description: I work in an Alz. Specific facility and the residents are typically lethargic and do not want to stray far from the comfort zone. I decided that they needed a few things...first fresh air, I am a true believer in it. Second, Mild exercise. Finally, sensory stimulation.

I took a group outside armed with baskets and a mission...my wheelchairs were the "spotters" they would find the prettiest colors and shapes. My walkers wouldpick them up and shape the decorations for the residents who could not participate. ( self esteem ) Since we have mild weather here in atlanta this was great. I have found that if you have a "mission" for the residents, they feel special and needed. THis was a very productive activity. Just makke sure that there is no poisonous stuff in there and let them run wild!

No comments: