Sunday, July 20, 2008

More About Dementia Activity Tools

Yesterday, I talked about the book Adorable Photographs of Our Baby-Meaningful Mind Stimulating Activities and More for the Memory Challenged, Their Loved Ones and Involved Professionals. which features baby pictures as a springboard for discussions about anything under the sun. And I said the author, Susan Berg, is giving away a portion of the book. Just click here and email her

The other book, I talked about, Still Giving Kisses by Barbara Smith, discusses many ideas she used with her mother who had Alzheimer’s disease.Barbara is an Occupational Therapist. Thus her ideas are right on.

What I did not say is that both these books are extremenly useful tools for CNAs

Here is what Vernessa LuShaun Burgess, CNA from Delray Beach, Florida had to say

The book was very insightful. I especially enjoyed the pictures that the staff
and family can use. They will help me communicate with the memory challenged and
provide a personal touch while I am doing it. The ideas were also very helpful
because they involve an involve people with all stages of dementia and can
easily be adapted for verbal and nonverbalindividuals. I give the book two
thumbs up.
Thus have several copies of each book around so they(the CNAs) will be able to engage dementia residents more easily

Also you may want to check out the post on May 30,Activities that ANYONE can do with a RESIDENT with or without dementia
Your comments, please

No comments: