Saturday, September 13, 2008

Activities directors and residents accept visitors with open arms

Residents of long term care facilities always welcome visits from kind people from the outside. It also makes the job of the activities director easier Here is a case in point
A Little Blood and Guts Does a Body Good
September 11, 2008

One Wednesday night a month, The Paseo Gathering commits to some sort of community outreach, and this past Wednesday we made our first visit to Grace Living Center, a local nursing home. When I made the arrangements with the Center’s activities director, she recommended an agenda for the evening and said she was looking forward to it.

We arrived at the nursing home lugging bottles of soda and fingernail polish and a small selection of movies; all the makings for a cozy movie night complete with popcorn. From my home collection, I had picked a couple of movies that I figured would be perfect for those nice, sedate, elderly folks who had entered their twilight years and were happy to shoot the breeze until their “time” had come. I couldn’t help feeling that feeling; the one that says, “I’m going to make someone happy, and that makes me happy.” (I’m still not completely sure how to “do good” without feeling a little proud that I’m doing good. Quite a conundrum, I know.)

One of the women who joined with me also brought along a few movies...read the whole artivle

1 comment:

Rex B. said...

Thanks so much for posting to your readers about the activities we are getting involved with. So many times we go into a new place a bit nervous and timid, as we did this time! The activity director made us feel welcome and was involved. We will be going back and are excited to just help their activity director however we can.

Thanks much!
Rex Barrett
http://ProjectOKC.com